The number of sewing machines on the market nowadays is innumerable, with each of them boasting different features and benefits. Whether you are a quilter or learning embroidery, there is a sewing machine that matches your needs, although it may take a lot of your time before you locate the right one.
It is not an easy feat to shop around for a new machine. It is not also fair to suggest a particular brand for you to go and purchase. This is a decision you need to make by yourself because it is crucial. Nevertheless, there are some questions that you need to ask yourself before buying a sewing machine.
Here you will get the best sewing machines for beginners
The questions are:
- What are the types of sewing you have in mind to do? – It may sound funny, but you need to make up your mind as regards the type of sewing you want to do. Do you plan on sewing clothes? Are you looking at making a name for yourself in home decorating, repairs and alterations as well as crafts?
- What is your budget? – How much are you willing to pay for a sewing machine? Do you have enough to cover the costs?
- Once the sewing machine arrives, where do you plan to use as your workstation? Is it the living room, the kitchen, or a customized sewing room?
- Do you intend to keep the sewing machine forever, or are you planning to use it for about six months to a few years?
- Do you have an adequate storage facility for the sewing machine after making use of it for the day? Where do you plan on storing it? Is it in a closet, or in its cabinet?
When you supply answers to these questions, you are half-way towards reaching a personal resolution. It will not be wise for your children to have easy access to the sewing machine; therefore, you need to prepare a haven for the machine when you’re through with it for the day.
The next step for you to take is to carry out some research. This is the part where you hop online and get in with the girls in as many sewing forums as you can handle. At discussion boards, you will have free and unbiased info about the good, the bad and the really ugly sewing machines out there, based on individual’s experience. It is a good thing to read reviews about such machines on review websites, but most times, such reviews are doctored by the owners, all in a bid to entice prospective buyers into buying the machines. In forums, however, all discussions are raw, honest and open. The information you will get from these discussion boards are priceless, so don’t take them lightly.
If you live in an area where you have easy access to local dealers that sell sewing machines, then, by all means, pay them a visit. Remember to take some fabric along with you, and if they permit you, you can test drive the sewing machines in their showrooms. Check out things like the stitch length, presser feet, etc. Is the foot pedal pliable enough? How comfortable is it? Is the machine noisy when being used or does it run silently and smoothly? Is there any warranty on any of these sewing machines? When it gets faulty, how do you get the sewing machine fixed? Is there a local repairman, or will you be required to ship the machine out of state before it gets repaired? Is there a manual that comes with the sewing machine?
Don’t forget to ask them a lot of questions, juxtaposing the answers with the ones you got from the forums you visited earlier.
It may look like a lot of work, but be rest assured that you will be happy when you finally have the sewing machine of your dreams with all the necessary features at your home.